BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chit CHat with Hero Srikanth


Few stars completed 100 films in the current generation of Telugu actors. Srikanth without any backup by a godfather achieves this. As his 100th film, Mahatma, is getting ready for release, Srikanth, the most non-controversial star and affable actor, goes down the memory lane. He lets us know more about his personality, his career and of course, Mahatma. Excerpts from the interview..

Your thoughts on completing 100th film..

I am really happy that I am completing 100 films in very short time. Though Chiranjeevi finished them in much lesser period, it gives me satisfaction that no other star in my generation did achieve this. But I don’t feel it as a big achievement or like that, it gives immense satisfaction that I still being liked by audiences.

Did you plan your career like this to be?
Except Mahatma, which is my 100th film, no film was planned. I came to industry to get noticed and do some films but never dreamt of completing 100 films, 150 films like that. Most of the time, I went with the flow. In fact, I never had time to plan anything, as I was doing film after film without any gap. At one time, I was doing 10, 12 films in a year.

Then why did you plan Mahatma in such astute manner?
100th movie is a landmark in one’s career, so I wanted this film to be remembered for a long time. In the initial stages, I was not in a position to rope in some big director to make a film with me. When this thought came of making memorable 100th film, I approached Krishnavamsi and he readily agreed and he designed this subject.

Why did you zero on Krishnavamsi only?
I wanted this film to be special and different. In my opinion, only Krishnavamsi can dare to make a film like this. He is gutsy director and is adventurous.

What was the brief you have given to Krishnavamsi?
Nothing except that I waned him to make a good and variety film. He came up with this idea of making on the lines of Eenadu (1983), a serious film that deals with societal problems with an undercurrent message. He has designed a unique characterization of a rowdy making realize people the importance of Gandhian values in today’s times.

Mahatma looks like big budget flick. Don’t you think it is a risky proposition?
If you don’t take risk, nothing comes in life. Yes, Mahatma is two times bigger (in budget) than my earlier biggest film but it can only be made on this scale. In the initial stages, when KV narrated me this line, we looked for good producers but no one came. A producer came forward but he proposed a budget which was not enough for this film. So then KV though of scrapping it but my brother Anil and I have decided that we ourselves should produce the movie and informed the director. At the same time, suddenly, a friend of mine from Karntaka told about our mutual friend C R Manohar who is willing to step into Tollywood. He came to make film with him but I said I would do only after I finish 100th film as I am producing it myself. Then he came forward to produce himself but I said no. He kept on insisted. Then, I asked what is the budget he would invest if he makes a film with me, he quoted a figure, which is more than I expected. His reason was that combination of Srikanth and Krishnavamsi would bring good business as we have delivered a hit with Khadgam and he is proved right now.

Tell us about your association with Krishnavamsi?
He is one director I respect a lot. We have been good friends for a long time. We are family friends. His family, my family and Jagapathi Babu’s family members and other mutual friends regularly meet and go for tours together. As a director, he is a genius. Not only that he is creative, he works hard, and brings in best performances from each actor. Just look at the films that he has done, he gave best films to Nag, Prakash Raj, Jagapathi Babu, Mahesh Babu and me. He brings in best work from the actor.

People say he is tough taskmaster?
Actors who afraid to work hard and put in effort might say this but indeed he is to delight to actor.

10 Best Films in your career?
1. Pelli Sandadi
2. Aame
3. Taj Mahal
4. Aahhavanam
5. Khadgam
6. Tarakaramudu
7. Preyasi Rave
8. Operation Duryadhona
9. Pellam Oorulethe
10. Swarabhishekam

Directors/Filmmakers who played important role in your career..
First and foremost I owe all the success to EVV Satyanarayana and Krishnareddy. At one time in my career, it was like a cycle - one film with EVV and Krishna Reddy doing another one immediately. I worked with them almost for 20 films. Next comes producer Ramanaidu who trusted in me and gave me some good hits. Krishnavamsi is also one director who changed my image with Khadgam. Tammareddy Bharadwaja also played important role in shaping up my career.

One experience that you always remember..
Megastar Chiranjeevi giving me moral support and making me realize my faults was the most memorable experience. During 1998 and 1999, I was going through rough patch as almost 8, 9 films bombed in a row. I was into depression and started avoiding meeting everyone in the industry. One day, Chiranjeevi called me up and asked me to come to his home for dinner. He sat with me for 3 hours and shared his experiences in his life and told me not to take failures so seriously. He gave an example of how he didn’t do any film at one time for two years as every film is flopping. He gave moral support and stood by me. Even today, I recall his words when I feel down.

One success that you always cherish
The phenomenal success of Pelli Sandadi. I tasted many successes and delivered hits later but the hysteria that Pelli Sandadi created and the way people treated me in rural areas can’t be described in words.

Your Favorite co-stars?
Soundarya. We did four or five films together and I like her performance, sincerity and simplicity. She was the best actress I have ever worked.

You acted with Chiru, Nag and Venky but not with Balakrishna. Is there any particular reason behind it?
I have been waiting for that chance to come. He is the only big star that I haven’t worked with in the industry and I am still looking for. I don’t the reason but I was never offered a role in his films.

Among the big stars, with whom do you have great rapport?
I have good friendship and personal rapport with all the stars that I worked with. With Venky and Nag, I have good relationship from the beginning as I did villain roles in their movies. Later I worked as co-star with Venky (three films), Nagarjuna (Ninne Premista) and recently Chiru annayya. Though I worked with Mohan Babu in one film (Tappu Chesi Pappu Koodu), we gelled well and he is also close to me.

Are there any directors you would like to work with?
Luckily, I worked with some of the living legends like K Vishwanath (did Swarabhishekam under his direction), Bapu (Radha Gopalam) and K Raghavendra Rao (Pelli Sandadi). In the current generation, I am eagerly waiting to work with S S Rajamouli, Puri Jagannadh, V V Vinayak and Sekhar Kammula.

Will you work with current top heroes like Mahesh Babu, NTR and Ram Charan?
Sure, why not!

Your wife Ooha was a big star before your marriage with her. But we hardly see her at any public function, or film ceremonies or anywhere else these days.

It was her choice to stay away from arc lights after marriage. She likes to be at home, and being homemaker.

Does she guide you in career?
No. She scolds me sometimes when she believes that I shouldn’t have accepted some films but I always take decisions on my own.

How many children you have?
Three. Elder one is Roshan. Second child is Medha, daughter. Rohan is just six months old.

Do you regret not bagging any awards?
No. I am content with the way personal and professional life has been progressed. Becoming a star itself is an achievement, never ever thought about awards.

Funda of life?
Whether we are happy with ourselves or not matters to me and nothing else. Being happy is my way of life.

When was the first time that you wanted to become an actor?
It was in 10th standard. From 8th class, film bug hit me but from 10th class it has become like obsession. I come from Gangavati area from Karnatka and there NTR’s films used to run almost regularly. After Chiru’s Khaidi released, I could not control my madness about films. So I ran away to Madras hoping to become actor and made rounds to the studio but no one even care to look at me. So I came back to my place again and finished graduation and then applied for Madhu Film Institute. After completing course in institute, I got chance in Usha Kiron Movies produced People’s Encounter.

Any new commitments?
Only after the release of Mahatma, I will sign my new movies.



Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Tollywood to Bollywood. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates