BREAKING NEWS

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shruti wants to remain independent


There is nothing really clichéd about Shruti Haasan.

Smart, witty, talented, grounded and gorgeous, this 23-year-old sure knows where she wants to go... right to the top! She may not look like your typical film heroine, but she is all set to scorch the screens with her Bollywood action flick.

Shruti also doesn’t look like the kind who can compose music for a Kollywood flick, but she sure is tune with the times. In fact, her caller tune is Nakka Mukka.... So, with dad Kamal Haasan playing the lead, the atmosphere on the sets of Unnaipol Oruvan, for which she is the composer, must be one, big-family affair?

“Let’s get this straight. When my dad told me that they were looking for a fresh, young, music director for the film, I immediately jumped at the offer. Then, I warily asked him if I had to audition expecting him to say no, but all he said was a resounding ‘yes’. So on the sets, he is just another actor and me, the composer. I think it works best this way because then, I can extract work from him the way I want,” she says.

Does that mean Kamal Haasan has sung a song for the film? “Of course, he has,” she says with a grin. “In fact, make that plural. Dad is a rock star and has an amazing voice. I’m trying to show that side of him to the world now. It requires a bit of coaxing, but, I bully my dad a lot though,” says the proud daughter.

Talk to Shruti a little more and you will find that she is extremely close to her father. As proud as she is of him, one thing she has learnt is not to take her lineage for granted. Fiercely independent, she says that the only reason she lives alone is because she needs her space. She adds with a laugh, “But, I’m extremely close to my family and hang out at appa’s place most of the time.

Besides, they feed me for free and I’m a die hard veetu saappaadu person.”
Considering that the latest trend in the film industry is actresses crooning for their films, does Shruti think it is an added advantage that she can sing, compose and act too? “Not really. I’ve sung a few songs for my film, but it’s not imperative that I sing all my songs. Sometimes, your voice won’t suit the song. So, you’ll have to go with another singer. There are a lot of logistics involved,” she explains.

It’s time to steer her back to films. Now that she has donned a bikini, is a lip-lock next? “Firstly, the reason I’m wearing a bikini is because I’m swimming in that scene. Secondly, I’ve seen a lot of ‘inappropriate’ scenes on TV which look plain vulgar. I know for a fact that I didn’t look crass. So, what’s the entire shout about? As far as the lip-lock is concerned, as clichéd as it sounds, if the script demands it, I’ll do it.”

Kollywood as we can see, is certainly her cup of tea, but unfortunately, she isn’t excited enough to sign up a film just yet. “I am listening to a lot of scripts, some nice ones too, but there is nothing that is so amazing that I’ll be killing myself if I don’t act in it. I’m all for Kollywood cinema though. After all, I grew up on it. Right now, I’m content composing some music, finishing my album and spending time with friends and family,” she signs off, flashing her dimpled smile.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Tollywood to Bollywood. Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates